Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Compulsion for Sound


Forgive my banter, but I have been obsessed with music over the last few weeks. It started with me trying to make a list of the best albums of the year passed through some compulsive music purchases and continued with shared itunes music in a coffee shop and sonic mornings on my bike to school.

I just got a bunch of albums that are really cohesive and wonderful, and at the same time, 2007 pop. M Ward, Magnolia Electric Co., Andrew Bird, Beirut-- all amazing in their own merit and as far as complete albums go they flow. I just personally discovered M Ward and i cant seem to get enough of his peaceful voice. just had to get that out there, its been a long time since I've been so extremely moved by music.

Which is funny because up until now I have sort of refused to use music in my classroom in the place of poetry.

I will never forget one of my poetry professor's critiques of music lyrics as opposed to poetry. I do see faults in her argument (Hello Bob Dylan!), nevertheless it sticks with me. I probably will bring music in in the next few weeks, but I have definitely been stalling.
...

Today I fell asleep while reading a student paper (Dont worry, I wasn't teaching) but I still had a difficult time grading it. This student has never written anything for my class and suddenly he drops a 7 page murder mystery on my desk. It was intriguing but still lacking. Sometimes it is really hard to be an English teacher because I just run out of things to comment on. I ended up telling the student it could be more clear and better edited, which really was just a b.s. comment because I couldn't think of anything else.

Listening to M Ward Fuel For Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment