Monday, August 6, 2007

Intentional Writer's Block

Say Goodbye to the dog days of summer.

This morning I woke up with a strange feeling bouncing around my head. My body was telling me that I needed to get out of bed and start planning for my classes this year. It was an unfortunate wake-up call in the middle of my vacation. And it gave me a clear understanding as to why I haven't written in awhile.

I was talking to an old friend who is also a new teacher and she gave me a great analogy of how summer works: June is like Friday, July is like Saturday, and August is like Sunday, when one tries to relax but is fully aware that the inevitable school day is just around the corner.

So here's my writer's block: I really enjoyed not writing, thinking, or talking about school for a good amount of time while I was in Ecuador. It was gratifying and liberating. But as all of the adventure (and misadventure) has come to a close I have had some difficulty coping.

I don't want to stop writing about traveling, and experience and culture. I don't want to start writing about school. Not Yet!

But it truly is inevitable. Target has started their back-to-school sale, Our school Secretary and principle are back to work, and the dark gloom will be settling soon over this little coastal hamlet. The school year is coming.

I will try my best to think of as many non-education related posts as possible, but it is coming.

Listening to: Vince Guraldi Black Orpheus

1 comment:

  1. Hey Daren,

    I loved reading about your trip, sounds like you and your girlfriend had quite the adventure!
    My good friend Katie has a friend in New York who quit his job and traveled the world by himself for a year, staying only in hostels. He kept a blog the entire year, and I thought you would find it interesting. He wrote so much that you really have to visit his archive to see most of the trip, but it is a great blog to read when you have the time: http://fiftyweeks.blogspot.com/.
    Enjoy!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete